Sunday, September 1, 2013

Conflicts in Gaming

As with any social activity, I've found that conflicts arise not just in game, but out of game too. Whenever you put a group of people together, eventually they are going to butt heads, especially if they are very different (or in some cases just too much alike).

Of course, a game stops being fun when people start taking resentments out on others in game. It ruins the game for the rest of the people and it ruins it for the GM.

One thing I found about myself was that, while I was perfectly willing to admit my characters' faults, I did not like people calling them horrible people. My characters are very much an extension of myself, and so for me, to call my characters that, you are calling me that as well.

In one particular case, I get the feeling the actual player did have that opinion of me. Sometimes people just clash, I've decided.

My advice would be to talk to the player on your own time, away from the game. The best way to deal with a problem, in my opinion, is to face it head on or else resentments, anger, and the issues are only going to get worse.

In my case, I had to come to the decision that the person wasn't really a friend, so I needed to take their criticisms with a grain of salt. So I could play with them, but I wasn't too invested in the relationship anymore.

As a GM, I talk to the person when there is an issue, and if we can't work it out, then I ask them tactfully to walk away from the game. You can't GM for someone who doesn't respect you.

And then sometimes you just need to block their asses.

Just some thoughts on that. Happy gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment